Sunday, 2 September 2012

Slowing down, to speed up.


So, the second and final week of my holiday is over. I've been avoiding computers (and to an extent all technology) because once I'm back at work I'll spend far too much time sat in front of a screen for hours at a time.  As well as taking a break from technology I've been trying to embrace the whole long slow run concept even though it still feels a bit odd to me

Last Sunday I had another 10 mile run to do so I picked the same route as I'd run the week before, but this time went around anti-clockwise so all the hills were at the end of the run.  I focused on trying to stick to the 9:45 pace on the plan just as closely as I could, probably the worst thing about how I usually run is I never seem to stick to one pace, so I end up tiring myself out before I've hit my distance.

Probably the best long run I've ever had - I even managed to keep to the same pace going up Manor Road where usually I end up slowing down and running out of breath. I'm starting to feel more confident I'll make it round the half marathon without too much trouble now. No idea what my race pace will actually end up being though, I'm really going to have to work that out on the day.

Distance 10.34 miles
Duration  1:38:54  - (Spilt times: 9:48, 9:45, 9:34, 9:45, 9:30, 9:43, 9:32, 9:44, 9:14, 9:20, 3:02*)
*1/3 mile
Avg Pace 9:34 min/mi

The rest of this week was pretty much a recovery week on the plan, so apart from Thursday when I just had no energy at all and really struggled to run at a 10 minute mile pace I just stuck to the schedule..  (I also realised that all I'd actually eaten the whole day on Wednesday was a Chinese take-away at around 8PM - oops!)  I think for the next few weeks I might have to pay more attention to my diet.

The good news is that most of the time 5 mile runs seem fairly trouble free now I'm getting used to longer distances.. It bothers me a bit that I'm running quite slowly all the time now, the 6 miles I did earlier today was a whole minute per mile slower than I'd usually run a 10K race at, but hopefully I'll still remember how to go faster when I need to, and in the mean time avoid injuries or making the aches that won't go away any worse.

Here's this weeks running straight from my Garmin...


I also looked at the stats for the month, and was quite surprised that I ran a total of 88 miles even though I took almost a full week off.  By the middle of next week I'll have totalled 300 miles this year, probably not a lot compared to some people, but given only a couple of years ago I was starting out trying to run a mile in one go I'm really pleased with the progress I've been making.

And now, I'm pondering how busy it'll be when I get back to work and wondering how I'll manage to fit it all in during the next few weeks, especially when most of my midweek runs might end up being quite late at night.

No comments:

Post a Comment